North, formerly Thalmic Labs, announces the pre-order sale of Focals, a pair of custom-built glasses with a transparent, holographic display that only the wearer can see. This display floats an arm’s length in front of you and connects you to the people you care about, the information you need and the places you want to go.
Using Focals, you can see and respond to texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, talk to Amazon Alexa and more — seamlessly and immediately. The glanceable and minimalist interface gives you control over what’s happening in your digital world without pulling you away from what’s in front of you.
Focals come in two styles (Classic and Round), three colors (Black, Tortoise, and Grey Fade) and offer either prescription or non-prescription lenses. The frames themselves are thoughtfully designed using a combination of premium materials used in eyewear. These materials, combined with the holographic display system hidden inside the frame, create a blend of design and utility. The resulting aesthetic is bold enough to make a statement but discreet enough for everyday wear.
Focals are controlled by Loop, a subtle ring that comes in two colors, Black and Copper. Loop provides an intuitive and discreet way to interact with Focals.
- Messages: Get in touch with the people you care about in an instant. Read messages and quickly respond with smart replies, emojis or voice-to-text.
- Go: Search and navigate to your favorite locations or points of interest with turn-by-turn directions. You can also request an Uber directly from your glasses.
- Calendar, Weather, Reminders: Have the peace of mind that you’re on top of your day without getting lost in your phone. Focals give you access to the time and date, your daily calendar, weather, and select notifications. Or you can turn on Do Not Disturb if you want to put it all on pause and focus on the task at hand.
- Amazon Alexa: Focals make Alexa accessible no matter where you are, with responses that are delivered to Focals’ full-color display or via a small speaker that you can turn on or off. With Alexa, you can add to your to-do list, check the weather, control smart home devices and more.
- Proactive Updates: Focals offer proactive updates for the things that matter most. Whether it’s keeping tabs on directions, seeing your grocery list appear while you’re out shopping, or tracking your Uber’s arrival – it’s all shared with you at just the right moment.
“Eyewear is incredibly personal. When you buy glasses you’re weighing a combination of fit and personal expression to find the perfect pair for you. That process is very much at odds with how consumer electronics are built and sold today,” said Stephen Lake, co-founder and CEO of North. “Others have tried and failed to create smart glasses people love because they built a computer to wear on your face and made them glasses as an afterthought. We did it the other way around. We designed Focals to be glasses first and invented new technology that we could conceal inside.”
Focals cost $999 USD ($1299 CAD) and are custom-built using a unique sizing process to ensure a comfortable and attractive fit. The introductory price will include Focals, Loop, Focals Services, Charging Case, and Sun Clips. Focals Classic frames will begin to ship before the end of the year. Orders including Round frames will ship in 2019. Prescription lenses will be available to order starting in 2019.
As Focals are custom made for you, you must schedule an appointment in either of our Brooklyn or Toronto Showrooms in order to go through our custom-fitting experience and complete your purchase. It’s as easy as getting a regular pair of glasses from your local eyewear store.
Toronto Showroom: 113 Ossington Ave, Toronto, ON
Brooklyn Showroom: 178 Court Street, Brooklyn, NY
North, formerly Thalmic Labs, builds products that change the way see and engage with our world. North’s latest product, Focals, are custom-built glasses with a display only the wearer can see. Focals let you see texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, talk to Amazon Alexa and more — seamlessly and immediately. Founded in 2012 by three graduates of the University of Waterloo’s mechatronics engineering program, Stephen Lake, Matthew Bailey, Aaron Grant, North has grown to a world-leading team of engineers, researchers, designers and creators. North has raised over $140M USD to date from investors including the Amazon Alexa Fund, Intel Capital and more.