WASHINGTON, D.C. – Consumers should stop using this product unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product. About 215,000 children’s sunglasses are being recalled for high levels of lead paint. The recall includes Disney, Marvel, Sears/ Kmart brand of children’s sunglasses.
- Name of Product: Children’s sunglasses
- Hazard: Surface paint on the sunglasses contains excessive levels of lead, which is prohibited under federal law.
- Remedy: Replace, Refund
- Consumer Contact: Contact FGX International toll-free at (877) 277-0104 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or online at www.fgxi.com and click on “Recall” for more information.
- Recall Details
- Units: About 215,000
- Description: This recall includes 20 styles of Disney, Marvel and Sears/Kmart brand children’s sunglasses. They come in a variety of colors and with printed images of characters on the frames. The following style numbers located inside the sunglasses’ left temple arm are included in the recall:
Style# Brand Colors
- S00014SVS999 Marvel Spider-Man Red, blue
- S00014SVSBLU Marvel Spider-Man Blue
- S00014SVSRED Marvel Spider-Man Red
- S00021LKC999 SK2 Sears /Kmart Private Label Blue
- S00021SVS999 Marvel Spider-Man Red/black, silver/blue
- S01551SDB999 Disney Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Red/white, silver/black
- S02964SJN440 Disney Jake and the Never Land Pirates Blue
- S02964SJN999 Disney Jake and the Never Land Pirates Blue
- S03683SDC999 Disney Cars Blue, black, red
- S04611SDC001 Disney Cars Red/black
- S04611SDC080 Disney Cars Red/Silver
- S04611SDC400 Disney Cars Blue/teal/yellow
- S04611SDC999 Disney Cars Blue/teal/yellow, red/black, red/silver
- S07786SMS500 Disney Doc McStuffins Purple/pink
- S07786SMS650 Disney Doc McStuffins Pink/blue
- S07786SMS999 Disney Doc McStuffins Purple/pink, pink/blue
- S07840SDC999 Disney Cars Red/black
- S07841SDC001 Disney Cars Black/silver
- S07841SDC440 Disney Cars Blue/red
- S07841SDC999 Disney Cars Blue/red, black/silver, black/red
Incidents/Injuries: None reported
Remedy: Consumers should immediately take these sunglasses away from children and return them to FGX International for a free replacement or refund, including free shipping and handling.
Sold at: Bon Ton,CVS, K-mart, Rite-Aid, Walgreens and other retail stores nationwide from December 2013 to March 2014 for between $7 and $13.
Importer: FGX International Inc., of Smithfield, R.I.
Manufactured in: China
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of injury or death associated with the use of thousands of types of consumer products under the agency’s jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries, and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $1 trillion annually. CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical or mechanical hazard. CPSC’s work to ensure the safety of consumer products – such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters and household chemicals – contributed to a decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 40 years.
Federal law bars any person from selling products subject to a publicly-announced voluntary recall by a manufacturer or a mandatory recall ordered by the Commission.
To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury go online to www.SaferProducts.gov or call CPSC’s Hotline at (800) 638-2772 or teletypewriter at (301) 595-7054 for the hearing impaired. Consumers can obtain news release and recall information at www.cpsc.gov, on Twitter @USCPSC or by subscribing to CPSC’s free e-mail newsletters.
Images Available here